Monday, August 30, 2010

Candy's Results!



I just received my dog’s DNA results in the mail and I cannot believe the results. I have worked at a veterinarians office for several years and I was certain I had guessed at least half of what she was…but I was way off.

I adopted Candy last year in August 2009 through a rescue organization called HAPPE. She was being treated for heartworms at the vet’s office I work at. She is approx. 4 years old. Everyone always asks me what breed she is and my best answer was “half golden retriever, half cat”. She looks just like a golden retriever, just miniature! (her full grown weight is 36 pounds).

Everybody at my work guessed what she was mixed with. We had answers that included: golden retriever, collie, sheltie, papillon, shiba inu (not on the list!), and chow! (NONE OF THOSE WERE RIGHT)

Her results were:
  • Level 2: Doberman Pinscher
  • Level 3: Labrador Retriever
  • Level 4: American Eskimo Dog
  • Level 5: Boxer
  • Level 5: Chinese Shar-Pei
She looks NOTHING like a Doberman; however, she does have a head shaking condition which doctors didn’t know what was wrong with her; maybe now they know she is a Doberman we can look into the “Idiopathic head bobbing syndrome” that’s common for Dobermans. Labrador retrievers look kind of like golden retrievers so I can definitely see that. American Eskimo dog is where she gets her small size from and her “fluff” she has small fluffy ears, fluffy butt, and fluffy feet (which I trim every 2 weeks cause she slips and falls). AND she sheds like CRAZY! Just like the Eskimo. Boxer I don’t see so much (but it is less than 10%). Chinese Shar-Pei, she may have picked up the bad skin problems because she itches and scratches constantly and she has a partial purple tongue!

Thank you Happy Dog DNA!
Melanie
Chesterfield, VA

No comments: